Tour de France 2009

Well it's July 4 and not only is it Independence Day in the US but it's also the start of le Tour de France.

This years Tour signals the return of Lance Armstrong after 3 years and his win in 2005; Armstrong managed to place 10th in todays time trial in Monaco.

Anyone else watching this years Tour de France and if so do you have any favorites or predictions?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Tour de France 2009

Not ever following it before, I just checked it out on the Internet and it sounds fascinating! I would be watching it but it's not listed in our TV Guide. Stage 2 is supposed to happen today.

I'm glad Lance Armstrong is back, and would watch it if I could just to see how he does!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

OLN which is now VS carries all stages of the Tour de France twice/day throughout the month of July. I've always loved this kind of sport because it's really just you against the road ahead and even though your pushing yourself through misery you couldn't do it in a more beautiful environment.

Sometimes I wish I'd kept up my roadbiking and early racing career (remember mim). Maybe I would never have made the Tour but I was on the right path to give it a try at least once in my life.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Yes, I remember!

We don't get OLN so I bookmarked the website and will continue to check there. LOVED the utube video showing the places the Tour goes through.

Yes, it's very exciting, and I would definitely have watched as much as I could if we were able to get it through the other Sports channels.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Basic cable in Canada is absolutely horrible. We have maybe a half dozen or so local channels that are all crap and a few US channels which are more of the same. I have no idea why we don't have a few channels that open us up to the rest of the world as part of our basic cable package?

I'd love to watch WRC but does anyone actually televise it over here, not to my knowledge?

Anyway, I still haven't seen Stage 2 yet so I have the TV on in the background waiting on mute.

...I love the Tour.
    My Daughter Rules!

I just found a website that shows the highlights, maybe that's the best I could hope for. You sure got me hooked, Duke!

Prologue (of Saturday) does not count as a stage, if memory serves.

Can't see it here. Doubt it is being broadcast here, but if it is, I would be paying a small fortune to be able to see it . I am guessing no Tour for me this year .
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Prologue (of Saturday) does not count as a stage, if memory serves.

Can't see it here. Doubt it is being broadcast here, but if it is, I would be paying a small fortune to be able to see it . I am guessing no Tour for me this year .
    Saturday was Stage 1, time trial.
    My Daughter Rules!

I found another Website that gives the highlights more in depth than the local News. At least I can see what's going on somewhat!

No other term encapsulates todays stage 3 other than WOW!

Tour de France Stage 3, Marseille -> La Grande-Motte wasn't expected to be a highly exciting stage given how flat and windy it is. The only person to come close to foreshadowing what the stage would bring was Bob Roll. Not only was Bobke's pick for today Mark Cavendish but prior to the race Bob suggested there would be fragmentation in the peloton due to the high crosswinds.

Well there was fragmentation alright, the winds literally tore the peloton apart. Prior to the race Team Columbia was going to allow some of the other teams to take control of the peloton as they wanted to rest up for tomorrows team time trials however no other team took the initiative so Team Columbia was once again forced to set the pace.

About 32 km from the finish Team Columbia broke away from the peloton and took about 20 or so riders with them, one being Lance Armstrong. The lead group kept pulling away from the peloton and at one time had created a gap of about 34 seconds or so before the peloton started to reel them in. For a few minutes it looked as if the breakaway group would be caught but with nobody setting a clear pace and no teams working together in the peloton, the lead group stretched out the lead to around 40 seconds over the field.

Only two sprinters were in the lead group, one being Mark Cavendish (Columbia-HTC) and the other being Thor Hushovd (Cervello Test) so the sprint for the finish was essentially a two man race. As with Stage 2 Sunday, Mark peddled away with each power stroke and crossed the finish line first place by nearly a bike length; he truly is the fastest man in the world right now.

The big move in GC (General Classification) came with Lance Armstrong moving up from 10th place (approx. 40 seconds back) to 3rd overall. Bobke foreshadowed to to Lance in Yellow by Stage 5, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Absolutely one of the most exciting stages I've ever seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    I found another Website that gives the highlights more in depth than the local News. At least I can see what's going on somewhat!
    Good for you. I think doping is really a thing of the past and just an ugly stain that will eventually fade away in time in Tour history.

It's a tremendous sport not just for the athlete but for the team not to mention these guys race through some of the most beautiful countryside you'll ever see.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thanks for the more informative posts of the race, Duke! Now that I'm hooked, even the 3 and a half minute videos don't do justice all by themselves.

My Daughter Rules!

Oh man, what a stage today, Stage 4 Team Time Trials. Very tough, technical stage today with narrow winding roads, uneven surfaces and high crosswinds.

From the start it's really only been down to 4 Teams capable of winning todays stage, Team Columbia-HTC, Team Astana, Team Saxo Bank, and Garmin/Slipstream.

Team Columbia-HTC clearly didn't have the legs today likely a result of leaving it all out on the course the past few stages ended up finishing 5th behind Team Liquigas. Not really much of a surprise especially given yesterdays domination over the peloton however quite comical given Mark Cavandish's trash talking at the end of stage interviews.

The real story today was Team Astana and their dominance in the Team Time Trial. As Bob Roll predicted yesterday, it certainly looked as if Lance Armstrong would be wearing Yellow by the end of the stage.

As it turns out, Astana won the stage however fell short within milleseconds of Cancellara's gallant last pulls toward the finish line. One has to wonder if coming up short a few seconds in checkpoint one actually cost Astana and Armstrong the Yellow of if it helped keep them upright and further dispel any rumors of dissension in the team?

To give you an idea of how close Astana came to taking over Yellow, the standings are as follows:

1. Fabian Cancellara (Team Saxo Bank) 10:38:07
    2. Lance Armstrong (Team Astana) + 0:00
    3. Alberto Contador (Team Astana) + 0:19
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

My Daughter Rules!

I'm still pulling for Lance to win. I wish we were able to get the Tour on our Sports Channel.

I'm still pulling for Lance to win. I wish we were able to get the Tour on our Sports Channel.
    I wouldn't count on it, he's in 3rd place over 4 minutes back with only 2 more stages to go. I have to admit that I've been a bit disgusted by this years tour because of some of Alberto Contadors extremely questionable tactics on Team Astana.

Lance has stated numerous times that he'll ride for the Team if one of them wore yellow. When Contador got yellow Lance played the supportive team mate role and changed his focus to winning a podium spot instead (Top 3).

I would say this year is all but finished with the podium in Paris likely being Contador (First Place GC), Andy Schleck (2nd Place and White Jersey), Lance Armstrong (3rd Place).

I guess we'll have to wait for next year when Armstrong and Radio Shack team up in the Tour.
    My Daughter Rules!

I guess we'll have to wait for next year when Armstrong and Radio Shack team up in the Tour.
    I read that and hope that somehow I can follow it closer next year.

I'm disappointed that Lance Armstrong didn't win, but there is next year!

I'm disappointed that Lance Armstrong didn't win, but there is next year!
    There's a lot of ideas on why he didn't win but nobody knows for sure the true reason other than Lance himself. If I were to guess I'd say it was due a combination of conditioning and team ethics which Contador had entirely too much of one and not nearly enough of the other.

Next year will be interesting because you can pretty much bet their building a team to win Yellow. The primary goal I'm wagering is to put Lance in Yellow and help him win one more Tour but they'll also have another rider that can be put in Yellow should Lance not be able to reach the goal.

I'm very willing to bet that Team Radio Shack will win the Tour in 2010, the only question is who will actually wear Yellow?

RadioShack and Lance to Form New Cycling Team in 2010 | LIVESTRONG.COM

My Daughter Rules!

I really wish it would be on one of our two Sports channels here. I guess that's what I get for only having Basic Cable!

Thread Information