Effective Forum Communication

It's one thing to ask for support but quite another to receive support in a manner that you can identify with. Someone may be giving you all the information you require but since we all communicate on different levels it sometimes becomes challenging to understand where people are coming from.

Then there are those (such as myself) who know what they want to say but are sometimes hamstrung by an inability to fully articulate their thoughts. Much of what we say can be distorted by many things such as values, beliefs, opinion, experiences as well as level of caring and commitment toward those we're communicating with.

A site like this can be a great help in many ways but it can also simply add to the level of loneliness or misunderstanding some feel when things feel out of focus. All it takes is one perfectly reasonable message to be misconstrued by a sensitive party and all of a sudden we've done more harm than good which defeats the purpose of being here.

For this reason, I'm developing a system that will hopefully outline each of our unique communication styles in hopes that it helps us all understand where each other is coming from all that much sooner.

This topic will serve as the home base for development, testing and discussion of this system.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Effective Forum Communication

Please Note: This new option will ONLY display in the latest forum theme/template Jom15Main which can be selected from the dropdown box at the very bottom left of the forum.

How to use:

1. Navigate to your User Control Panel
    2. Click on Edit Your Details in the Your Profile section of Your Control Panel.
    3. Scroll to the bottom of page.
    4. Select 1 of the 5 choices from My Primary Communication Style.
    5. Select 1 of the 5 choices from My Secondary Communication Style (please do not select the same option as in My Primary Communication Style
    6. Click "Save Changes".

Current Choices include the following:
    • Honest
    • Supportive
    • Optimistic
    • Emotional
    • Experience
    • Playful
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Screenshots:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Daughter Rules!

I tried and me thinks that there should be more options. but I dont know what other options there are....
    Remember you are unique...
    Just like everyone else...

<3 Love your friends, <3 Love your family, <3 Love your life...

I love Duke, Luba, Charbar, Aunty Honney and VachelVace!!! <3<3<3

Quote Originally Posted by Dwoing View Post
    I tried and me thinks that there should be more options. but I dont know what other options there are....
    I agree that there should be more or better options but I couldn't come up with any more. Perhaps we can have a vote later on to see if there are more options people would like to choose from and what these options should be?

I'm interested in keeping the selections as broad as possible however because it's meant more as an overview of how people interrelate to one another via discussion in both person and in forum. Putting this information out there for everyone to see could translate to more effective communication or at least an understanding of the point of view your reading from.
    My Daughter Rules!

I don't have an issue with it but my communication style may differ with different situations. How strict do we have to be in following it? Is it more for the new person joining?
    The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office. (Robert Frost)

It's not a requirement at all really, it's only to aid us all in understanding one another a bit better.

As for your communication style, I doubt that it changes drastically all the time because that would be the same as continually altering your personality. All this is attempting to do is identify how you communicate with people at the core not how your answer may fluctuate depending on situation.

I understand that we all alter our responses based off whatever situation we find ourselves in but even if this is the case, our core beliefs will continue in tact. All we're trying to do here is identify how you relate to others at the core to put your answers in better perspective.

It may become a requirement for all members down the road simply because it will help identify who's human and who isn't which should also help alleviate some of the bot spam we continue to see.
    My Daughter Rules!

I think it is highly useful to have members know who uses what communication style; Duke tends to be brutally honest about matters, so people know that he is not joking around when replying to a serious topic. People who get replies from Duke know he is not trying to put some kind of nasty spin to it.

I am sure the "Experience" based approach does not come as an earth-shattering surprise.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Ya you pretty much hit the nail on the head here Vautrin. Over the years I've personally fielded several comments on the wide variety of our content and how it's either very helpful or very negative. What these folks didn't realize is that much of the content they were reporting on was the same content only taken in differing context.

It's one thing to respond to a sensitive issue openly and honestly but unfortunately not everyone will take it for what it is, open and honest. People who communicate openly and honestly will love it and know exactly where your coming from but people who read through an emotional filter may not see it that way, in fact they may view it as negative or insulting (which has happened). All this is trying to do is add a bit more insight not only into each and every response but also add some insight into the mindset of the person posting the comment.

My hope is that this system can help bridge the gap we see across differing communication styles and not have our content taken out of context as it has in the past.
    My Daughter Rules!

People tend to be more empathic with people they can relate to and in turn, that person feels understood and so anything suggested is likely to be read as support not criticism. By contrast, if you are upset or anxious and you don't feel the other person appeciates your point of view or what life is like for you, then you are likely to interpret any viewpoint other than your own as implied criticism. So it often does boil down to how good are you at putting yourself in other's shoes or how much do you have in common with the person and their experience/feelings.

Just out of curiosity here Meanon, do you think that people of different communication types can communicate effectively so long as they understand how each other communicates?

For example, do you believe a person who is primarily amiable is limited to effective communication with other amiables or can they also effectively communicate with other groups such as expressives so long as they understand how that group communicate?
    My Daughter Rules!

I guess it depends what you are communicating and what you define as effective. For the purposes of helping others I think anyone can communicate with anyone else as long as they can empathise with them and they have sufficient communication skills to demonstrate this.

I guess to me effective communication means listening first and foremost and not formulating some level of response while the other person speaks. While I do believe a level of empathy is important, I don't know if I believe it's critical in communicating with one another.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information