we discussed this in my last political science class, but I'm not going to get all bookish.

here's my deal...America is great because we're all free to think what we wish, and do what (well almost) we want.

I think that abortion is important as a right of women. Have you ever read the cider house rules? I don't remember who wrote it, but it is a worth while read.

Basically, this doctor has an orphanage/abortion clinic. There is one particularly poignant story of a young girl they find on the outside of the clinic (which is in Maine) in the snow. They find that she is pregnant, and has tried to perform an abortion on her self with a knitting needle, or coat hanger or such.

I won't give away what happens to her, but that's when you get to realize that even if you don't agree with it, it is better to have a physician perform such surgery then to have young women (who may or may not have been raped) try to throw themselves down the stairs, or heat up coathangers to rid themselves of the pregnancy.

Just my opinion, tho. I realize that this is a very touchy subject for most people, and many people have vested religious interestes in abortion.

It's not the right choice for everyone, and not everyone has to take that option out of an unwanted pregnancy. But, I believe that it should definately be out there for those who do decide it's best for them.

My reasons for feeling this way range from what I've seen of my friends to what I've encountered myself.

This is an extremely touchy subject because I agree, everyone's opinions differ in this issue.

I have friends who have had abortions who's lives were ruined psychologically from it and others who were fine. I, personally wouldn't be the type of woman to have an abortion no matter what the situation is. I would much rather choose to give the baby up for adoption then kill the child that's growing inside of me. BUT, That's my opinion only and I don't condemn those who choose otherwise. I support their decision either way.

I do have to agree that overturning the decision wouldn't be a good thing. I do agree that young girls especially would try to do it themselves so it is better to have a physician do the procedure then to have a senseless death of a young person. I really don't htink that this lady will succeed in her quest to have this overturned. They might revise it and set a new limit as to when you can't have one. I think that's about as far as it will go.
    Life is what you make of it. Make it happen.

After seeing a 15 week sonogram film with the baby moving around it's little arms and feet....I'd have a hard time making the decision that it isn't a viable life form and could end up in the garbage.

I can also understand there are times when it seems like the only decision to make. It's hard to judge if you aren't standing in someone else's shoes.

I just don't see how in a country where it's legal to have an abortion....that they could charge someone like Scott Peterson for a double homicide with one being an unborn baby. What's the difference?

I'm a bobble head on this one. Women have rights....but so does the unborn child. It's a big mess!

Quote Originally Posted by Merika

I just don't see how in a country where it's legal to have an abortion....that they could charge someone like Scott Peterson for a double homicide with one being an unborn baby. What's the difference?

I'm a bobble head on this one. Women have rights....but so does the unborn child. It's a big mess!
    that's because at the stage the baby was at in the pregnancy surpassed the abortion limit. After so many weeks, the fetus is considered a baby. To me, my opinion, is that it's a baby from day one.

There aren't enough rights for an unborn child. I just keep thinking if Krystal would've got an abortion, we'd all be missing out on our beautiful Erika. After all, the baby is the end product of a pregnancy. JMHO.

I'm not sure what the abortion 'cut off' time is here. Last I heard, they were still arguing over partial birth abortions....which would indicate the baby was older and closer to a birth date. I'm not sure though.

I still applaud Krystal for NOT getting an abortion. It took a lot of courage to face being pregnant at her age.

Erika was lucky though....some babies born to teen moms are just facing disaster. Then again, there are lots of adults who aren't fit to be parents either.

YL you also have to consider that Cider House Rules was written about another era. Unwed mothers do not have the stigma they once did. Pregnancy used to be the only sign a girl was "ruined" for a future husband- a disgrace to herself and fam- adoption was BARELY an option- only if it could be done w/the utmost secrecy- and keeping it was unheard of

YL.....are you referring to this book:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...sbn=0345387651
    I think I would like to get it for my daughter and I to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Merika
    I'm not sure what the abortion 'cut off' time is here. Last I heard, they were still arguing over partial birth abortions....which would indicate the baby was older and closer to a birth date. I'm not sure though.

I still applaud Krystal for NOT getting an abortion. It took a lot of courage to face being pregnant at her age.

Erika was lucky though....some babies born to teen moms are just facing disaster. Then again, there are lots of adults who aren't fit to be parents either.
    I don't think it's that long of a period here. I think here it's 3 months, 4 at the most.

I'm proud of her for that also. Even with my disaproval she still could've had that done without my consent and chose not to.

Erika is very lucky unlike most. I know a few of those women that shouldn't be moms. sickening.

yeah, that's it.

Faye, sometimes it's not just for what people think of you that hard decisions are made like that.

Sometimes it could be for financial reasons, or perhaps the mother is in an unstable relationship, or perhaps the mother even has emotional problems and would be unable to give the child up should she have it.

Or, perhaps the child was product of a rape.

I agree YL- I was just commenting in regard to the book

my biggest prob is w/peeps who have turned abortion into birth control- those who use no other means of protection then say "eh- I'll just have an abortion"

Quote Originally Posted by Fayebelle
    my biggest prob is w/peeps who have turned abortion into birth control- those who use no other means of protection then say "eh- I'll just have an abortion"
    My Mom used to say that if you can't afford the ticket....don't speed. Good rule of thumb in many other areas.

I am VERY VERY Pro Abortion, having been in the situation where I had to make the choice it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, I didn't go thru with it and sometimes I think I should have.

The strugle with this kind of decision is horrible, and sometimes seeking help only makes it worse, I remember when I was struggling with the decision all I was looking for was someone to understand how I was feeing, someone who wouldn't judge me, education on the process and procedure. I started looking on the wonderful information highway, the internet. and Thousands and Thousands of Anti- Abortion sites with HORRID picutes pop up and it is really unnecessary. Nobody WANTS to kill there baby! but sometimes people are just better off not having children.... Look at all the skrewed up parents and children, it comes from 1/2 assed parenting and from parents who had no business having children in the 1st place, children don't ask to be borne.

I didn't go through with my decision because I remember that I kept asking the clinic if I could have the "remains" of my abortion, I wanted to have them cremated, I didn't want to let it go, so I decided that it wasn't the right choice for me and I am still pregnant.

I at the time was only 7 weeks pregnant and I think up untill 12 weeks or so the BABY is still a FETUS! now I am 18 weeks and it's a baby I saw it, I feel it and anything past 12 weeks I believe is gross and should be illeagle. unless it's due to medical emergency.

I know you had a hard time with it SH. I'm not pro-abortion in my mind....but I sure can understand why I person ends up in a position of finding themselves pregnant at the wrong time.

I doubt I would ever get to the point of thinking it's the right decision....but sometimes the decisions a person has to make in life aren't right. Sometimes people just do what they've got to do.

What about people who have to steal food during a war because they are hungry? The stealing isn't right.....but the motivation and reason is understandable. I look at abortion the same way. It isn't right to me....but sometimes life gets messed up.

I wouldn't judge someone for stealing because they were hungry and I wouldn't judge someone for chosing to have an abortion if it was a decision they had to make at the time. Does that make sense?

It makes a lot of sence merika and i couldn't of said it better myself. I am anti-abortion also but i would never judge anyone that had one for whatever reason. It's not my place to judge.

I really wish there was more help avialable for the people in this situation, everybody has an optinon about it so it's hard to find support, you certinaly can't go around telling everyone you know... what would they think of you?

i am glad the choice is there, but there are little resources on making the right decision you get 2 deals 1. the christian anti abortion people who call you a murderer and tell you your headed for hell or 2. the abortion clinics who try to sell there services and treat you like you have no feelings because you are just another paycheck.

Adoption is also a great solution but not for someone like me who already had a child, what would you tell your kids, friends, faimly..

I was just tested to see if my child had Downs Syndrome ( new testing by blood) the doc said if people find out that there child has Downs or Cystic Fibrosis they abort the pregnancy, I wouldn't do that because I already deal with a disabled child. But I think that's wrong that some people would seems like people only want children if they are perfect :? I wish I could adopt all the disabled orphans... I have horror stories about them

It may not be a matter of wanting a "perfect child' It takes a great deal of patience, $, and resources to raise a disabled child- more than a "normal" child- the reasons that drive young single women to abortion may come into play for happily married couples once a disability is predicted. Now adopting parents- lets face it most of them DO want "perfect kids" so adoption becomes less of an option once you factor in a disability

Very very very sad

I do agree that it's wrong to abort a baby just because the baby might have a defect. I truly believe that God doesn't hand you anything in life that you can't handle. God just handed me a huge challenge of raising my grandchild and dealing with an out of control teenager. My belief in this is what helped me make my decision about not giving erika up for adoption. I can handle it and i am handling it. it comes natural to me. Might not to the next person though so how do we know what is right and what is wrong?

I think the people who call women murderers because they've had an abortion are hypocrits. They are very narrow minded people IMHO. They don't know how to put themselves in another's shoes to see how they would think about dealing with the situation.

When I was dead set at giving up the baby for adoption, hubby's mother breathed a sigh of relief and told me that she was praying that's what i would do. most of his family members thought the same way. When I told my family what i was planning on doing with the baby, I could tell it isn't what they would've chosen to do but they did support me and they didn't judge me. They were grateful that Krystal didn't abort the baby.

When I decided I couldn't give the baby up, my family was thrilled! That's when they let me know of thier thoughts. I also had a couple of sis in law's from hubby's side telling me that they couldn't believe that I was thinking about doing that! My best friend all along was telling me that i wouldn't be able to do it...she was right. The people who knows me best knew that I could handle it and i couldn't go through with it. My mom in law didn't seem too thrilled about my final decision but I don't care.

Point is that you can't live for what people are going to think about what you decide to do. What's important is what's right for you. You're the only one who will have to deal with the aftermath of your decision, not anyone else. With that train of thought, you really can't go wrong canyou?

Thread Information