I took photos of a homeless camp this morning.

Homelessness

I was out for a walk along the steam this morning. About two inches of snow had fallen last night. Everything was so pretty covered in layers of white and the air was so crisp and fresh. As I strolled along I admired the beauty of the pines heavy with the new snowfall.

It was a sunny morning. The birds chirped and flapped their wings as they warmed themselves, singing to each other in a way that only they could understand. The stream glistened below as I walked over an old wooden bridge worn with age. I looked over the edge and saw the moss covered rocks below. Ice crystals had formed on the edge of the banks.

The warmth of the sun felt good on my face. I pulled up a seat on a large boulder and sat there a while enjoying the serenity of the moment. I closed my eyes and tilted my head back in a sweet surrender kind of way as I enjoyed the moment. When I opened my eyes and looked around I saw the squirrels playing in the distance and thats when I noticed some clothes laying on a large rock down stream. Upon further inspection, I realized that someone had washed their clothes and laid them out on the rocks to dry in the sun.

Looking around, I noticed that on the other side of the stream, amongst some brush and trees, tucked away so you could barely see, was a homeless camp. Some of the people were living in tents and others amongst the shrubs with blue tarps tossed over them for protection from the snow. I smelled the smoke of a campfire and heard voices.

I stood there near the edge of the stream and just took in the view for a moment. I was shocked. I suddenly felt afraid and I turned to leave. When I got home I questioned the nature of my feelings. Why had I been afraid? Why did that homeless camp shock me?

I suppose that what Id seen was one of my worst fears. I find it hard to understand how anyone can be homeless in America, a country that is touted as the land of opportunity and the richest nation in the world. How can this be happening right in our own backyards? I sit here now writing this and am shaking my head in disgust because I feel there must be something gravely wrong in a nation that is supposed to be one of the richest in the world, when its citizens have to live in tents on the edge of town.

We are facing some tough times in our economy. People are being laid off and there are home foreclosures everywhere. The little bit of money unemployment sends, is spent on the high cost of groceries and gasoline. There are tent communities springing up around the nation.

When my shock and disgust abate, I am left with sorrow. A sorrow so raw that it reaches clear to my soul. The situation is more than what one man can possibly help with, but with many of us joining hands in the community we can help to bring an end to these kinds of living conditions. Tonight before I fall asleep, I will send prayers for all of the unfortunate souls whose lives have drastically changed as the result of the falling economy. Perhaps you can send prayers too. With our combined energies perhaps we can create a change.

Photos and story by LovingSpirit.

Re: I took photos of a homeless camp this morning.

Just out of curiosity LS, would you rather have this type of thing published on the blog or perhaps the main page (seems more like a blog thing though)?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Oh! I didn't realize you had a blog here. Goes to show how much I've spend looking around doesn't it. *blush* Ya, that would be a good idea if you think so.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    Oh! I didn't realize you had a blog here. Goes to show how much I've spend looking around doesn't it. *blush* Ya, that would be a good idea if you think so.
    I think it will get more attention if it's on the blog with a topic linked here for discussion.

I can also post your username (if you wish) as well as a link to your blog.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Ok!

I sent my photos and story to the local newspaper yesterday and they are going to print it in next Tuesdays paper. In addition they are going to set up an audio shoot of me reading the story which will air on a local radio station next week.

I sent my photos and story to the local newspaper yesterday and they are going to print it in next Tuesdays paper. In addition they are going to set up an audio shoot of me reading the story which will air on a local radio station next week.
    That's great! Maybe something will be done when attention is brought to it.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    whos getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Sorry it took so long but I've finally found some time to put this up on the blog. I'll add the photos once I can figure out what happened to the gallery:

Homelessness | Lifesupporters Blog
    My Daughter Rules!

Looks great Duke! Thanks! I go down to the local radio station this morning to record an audio of this story to be aired next week. Tuesday it appears in the local newspaper.

Looks great Duke! Thanks! I go down to the local radio station this morning to record an audio of this story to be aired next week. Tuesday it appears in the local newspaper.
    Is it possible to post a link of the story? I would love to see it!
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Luba, Duke has posted the story on his blog. It's called Homelessness. But if you'll hold on a minute, I'll add my blog link to my signature line and you can have an over all better look at what I writ and the photos I take.

Luba, Duke has posted the story on his blog. It's called Homelessness. But if you'll hold on a minute, I'll add my blog link to my signature line and you can have an over all better look at what I writ and the photos I take.
    Sorry, must have missed that post! I'll take a look!

PS. Silly girl, the story is at the begining of this thread.

No, I meant I actually wanted to see headlines and everything, like it's in the Newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    No, I meant I actually wanted to see headlines and everything, like it's in the Newspaper.
    It's going in next Tuesdays newspaper. I'll see what I can do to get an online link to the story, but am not sure if I have to have an online subscription for that or not. Maybe I can scan the story and post it when it comes out. Same with the other paper that will be carrying my photos on their front page. FRESH INK is the name of the paper that will be carrying my photos.

It's going in next Tuesdays newspaper. I'll see what I can do to get an online link to the story, but am not sure if I have to have an online subscription for that or not. Maybe I can scan the story and post it when it comes out. Same with the other paper that will be carrying my photos on their front page. FRESH INK is the name of the paper that will be carrying my photos.
    That's what I meant, sometimes I come off unclear.

That's what I meant, sometimes I come off unclear.
    Not to worry Luba, sometimes I don't understand.

If you like I can also add this little tidbit or even a new article about this as well

I have a Member Stories Category which sadly only has one article in it. I like sharing in our members successes so it would be nice to get some news to post on the main page.

Lifesupporters Family Friendly News
    My Daughter Rules!

The reading went well this morning and will air twice next Thursday. In addition, it will be posted on the Fresh Ink website. On Tuesday the local regular paper will carry it too.

Duke, yes go ahead and add that if you like.

I don't recall.....did I mention that in addition to my story that I had five of my Autumn Art photos chosen for the front cover of today's Fresh Ink newspaper? I was asked to submit two paragraphs explaining the photos and everything appeared, along with my picture on the front page of the Fresh Ink community paper today.

This was unrelated to the Homelessness story and photos. However the same editor saw my photos on the Fresh Ink website and contacted me about putting them on the front cover of todays paper.

I'm going to work on scanning the front page this weekend so I can post it here for ya'll.

Thread Information