Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Forum Change "General Discussion"

I have absolutely no issues with you testing anything of this nature my friend; you're a completely trustworthy guy and I very much value your input. I honestly love this idea but I was hoping to make it robust enough of a solution where it doesn't just tackle half the job, it tackles all of it.

I think we can easily configure this bar to render or not render based off a simple .css solution. Essentially, if the user wants to use the bar clicking an enable link will simply switch the forum theme to one with the navbar. The system is pretty much already in place in standard vBulletin you just know it as a theme selector but it's really the same thing.

I also agree that the Top Stats at the top of the forums made for more scrolling and was hard to get used to but I did see merit in the idea. With it being near the top it certainly made it easy to find out what is currently being discussed at a glance without having to scroll much. In fact, depending on screen resolution the latest topics actually appear above the fold which is more than I can say for much of the forums.

Either way I'd prefer to not have to scroll past it but I must admit, I already do anyway as I'm always checking forum stats anyway.

Lu said she likes it at the top and I agree, you think it belongs more at the bottom because it is a bit large and I also agree.

Dammit this must be the most difficult forum change I've ever engaged in.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

If you could pull the code out that displays the recent threads and smoosh is down a bit to make it more of a horizontal bar that would be perfect imho. You know more about how this works of course...

From my limited experience with PHP I would assume that the Top Stats is a separate module and you had to put the appropriate code in a location. Or does Vbulletin have site tools for this? Anyway I would think that I could do it if I saw the module code, which means that I think you are also capable of it.

My answer would be to remove the recent threads from the module and toss it up top and leave the rest of the stats down below. Dreamweaver would probably be able to do it fairly well, its a rather nifty program.

Actually stripping the data is not that simple as its a pretty robust addon and I'm quite sure once installed alters the database as well. Given the fact there are database queries to run this addon I'd prefer not to monkey with it as removing the wrong code can mean introducing a vulnerability that puts the site at risk.

If it was a simple matter of adjusting a template like introducing the scrolling navbar then we can certainly look at it but on anything that queries the db I'd never touch code. The only reason I use this addon in the first place is because its by Cybernetic who has a long history of quality addons for vBulletin.

I learned this lesson the hard way back in the early days of Lifesupporters.com when I this site was hijacked, exploited, and set to point to a hacker website. Unfortunately, Google was also updating at that time so even after I managed to undo the damage at a site level it took Google 3 months to remove all traces off this issue.

The only code changes I ever do on this site are .js, .css and .html, never .php as I'm now too paranoid and have wayyy too much to lose.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Well that stinks... Shouldn't all this stuff be super easy and safe?

My perfect answer for the whole thing involves everyone on the internet using my resolution, so its not an answer at all lol

widescreen ftw

Quote Originally Posted by IR_Efrem View Post
    Well that stinks... Shouldn't all this stuff be super easy and safe?
    I think anything that fetches data from another program via a hooked pipeline with consecutively running code stripping data here and there is inherently dangerous.

I think this is why so many sites are static .html as they are easy to restore. db sites are much more hassle but the ROI comes in the fact that without them we'd never get to meet and discuss issues with people such as the fine folks around here.
    My Daughter Rules!

I re-read something you said earlier that doesn't make much sense.

"Does not displace current background: in the link you provided your bar actually renders above the site and the existing bar, I hope this can be avoided here."

Um I dunno what to think about this statement, because my original idea calls for a bar that does not move at all. It's not displacing anything (well it is moving the whole site down a few pixels so yes that is displacing, but this seems ideal cuz its not some crazy overlay that is in the way), so yur statement has me a tad confused. I think my thoughts aren't jiving up with yours in some way or another or I am completely over-thinking what you said.

When I clicked on your link I saw two navigation bars, one directly above the other until I started scrolling and the page background fell away. I only checked this in google chrome so I wasn't sure if it was an issue or if it was intentional.
    My Daughter Rules!

Never thought of checking this in google chrome... Try firefox or IE, and just look real quick and see it behaves in the same manner.

Oh wait.. yes the two bars are going to be there because I cannot (of course) remove the old bar.

I was simply recreating the current bar and testing a few things. It was indeed intentional.

Ah, the question is would I have to remove the existing bars to use this new bar, if so that presents a major problem in Joomla and likely with the page backgrounds as well?
    My Daughter Rules!

I was thinking common links in said 'new bar'

Otherwise trying to cram all the links into 1024 pixels would become messy. and making it a taller bar might detract from the site itself. Perhaps asking all users what they use the most to navigate the site might be a step in the right direction? This new bar doesn't 'have' to be a replacement, just reduce scrolling by putting common links up top, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by IR_Efrem View Post
    I was thinking common links in said 'new bar'

Otherwise trying to cram all the links into 1024 pixels would become messy. and making it a taller bar might detract from the site itself. Perhaps asking all users what they use the most to navigate the site might be a step in the right direction? This new bar doesn't 'have' to be a replacement, just reduce scrolling by putting common links up top, thoughts?
    That was actually why I wanted to add either a javascript or dhtml element to it so we could create drop down menus that go into more detail on every choice.
    My Daughter Rules!

I was actually thinking about something along these lines:

http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plug...fish/#examples
    My Daughter Rules!

Just so we are on the same page, you would like create nothing but drop down menus? Or just play it by ear as creation progresses?

Please keep in mind that my example is by no means a complete work, I pretty much just added the simplest things I could think of and applied this to a frameset.

I want to take your idea to the next level and add dropdown submenus to it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Okie dokie..

Here is a basic HMTL <ul> menu with no CSS applied, for Forum links. This would be a drop down on the Forums link of course...

Instead JS it will use css but I'd like to know if this is what yur thinking of. Keep in mind this had not been applied to anything yet it's just a menu HTML. It can easily be a drop down menu. Each selection would expand into the perspective menus. (hope you understand what I'm saying lol)

Anyway gonna go out to eat and grab the boys from grandmas.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the following (to start):

Home

Forums
    • Todays Posts
    • Most Viewed Threads
    • Search
    • Register

Blog

News Topics
    • Family Matters
    • My Child
    • Health
    • Faith
    • Lighter Side
    • Sex
    • Entertainment
    • Site News
    • Relationships

Web Directory
    • Main Index
    • Add Entry

FAQ

About Us

Contact Us

Sitemap

I don't want to break down the forums because its simply too big to cover neatly. I'd much rather give people an idea of what we offer and allow them to browse through the site.

The reasons for this may seem a bit nefarious to you but in perfect honesty, the less people navigate the site the worse it is for the site. Its ALWAYS in our best interests to encourage people to navigate as deeply into the site as possible and listing our forums on our navbar may actually keep people from looking for themselves.

The idea here is to get people navigating the main page a bit more so it compliments the forums better. I think the forum layout pretty much speaks for itself now so I'd much rather people look around in it than simply scroll through a navbar.
    My Daughter Rules!

This point may not even be applicable but, in a frame many drop down menus do not render outside of the frame. The simple FORM method of a menu does indeed render outside of the frame. I have been trying to apply CSS to the form menu and it doesn't have any impact at all.

Thread Information