Top Scariest Movies

I was watching the Friday Frightmare on Space Channel tonight when a commercial came on for the Exorcist. I must admit that I've seen this movie a number of times and even still whenever I see clips of it, it still manages to raise goosebumps on my skin.

Of all the movies I've ever seen I personally find the Exorcist to be one of the top scariest movies of all time not so much because of how it's presented but more of how it makes me feel. At no point in this movie are you ever given hope, in fact all that happens is your inundated with one scary and uncontrollable scene after another. I think the fact it all happens through an innocent child makes it even scarier, darker and more disturbing to me. I also don't think the ending helps much either because the fact it takes over a man of Faith makes for an even bleaker picture.

What are your thoughts on the top scariest movies and what is it that you believe makes these movies so scary?
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

Re: Top Scariest Movies

I still can not watch the Exorcist all the way through. The sounds are what get me, the buzzing bee noises, the "speaking in tongues," everything. The part they cut out on most Cable T.V. is sickening, where the little girl does something naughty with a cross. Yeah, really sick scene that I still can't erase from my mind.

Sometime around Halloween, the Cable Station I was watching did a "behind the scenes" look on the Exorcist and I could barely contain myself to even watch that. I was scared to go to the restroom when it was over. LOL!

My favorite scary movie is Halloween. Michael Myers is the ultimate Boogie Man and the first film is such a Classic. Watching it now, it's almost funny compared to the new movies like Saw. I also like a couple of the Halloween sequels and the new Rob Zombie movies of Halloween are starting to grow on me.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose was also almost too scary for me to watch. I think the reason why the Exorcist and Emily Rose scare me so much is because of the 'realism' it portrays to me. I read an article on both of the true stories these two movies were based on and in both cases, the afflicted had a special type of Epilepsy.

If you ever research Epilepsy, you might stumble upon some scary things about predicting the future and contacting spirits from beyond the grave. That kind of stuff always made my skin crawl. It's not that I was taught these things were real, I just had a sense that they were from a very early age. Anytime a movie brushes on topics of Schizophrenia, Epilepsy, and/or Religion, it is extremely creepy to me.

Mirrors with Kiefer Sutherland was a slow and somewhat boring movie. However the Schizophrenia treatments used not so long ago, integrated into the scary parts of the film, made my skin crawl. Psychiatric treatments have come a long way, yet not so far away that these techniques aren't somewhat used today.

I guess in the long run, I believe in demonic possession, even with all the new Science that we've discovered. Of course, living in a Mental Institution for 2 weeks probably didn't help release my irrational fears any at all. The things I seen wasn't as scary as the Exorcist, but it was a close second.

I also worked with disturbed young children when I first started my career in care giving. I worked with some children that were severely retarded as well as violent children. When you have a child you are taking care of that speaks to people that no one else sees, it can be quite alarming, the longer you are responsible for their care.

I'll stop there, I could talk about movies in general for days on end.

I actually purchased the Exorcism of Emily Rose and it truly creeped me out as well. I've tried to watch it again just to catch what I may have missed the first time around but I haven't been able to sit through it a second time. It is truly an uncomfortable movie in every aspect but mostly like you alluded to Ivy, the realism really bothers me.

Most horror movies are usually a combination of far fetched, over the top, or some lunatic running around chopping people up. What makes these movies scary is that they just breath tons of realism and endless possibilities into vague topics that nobody truly can be called an expert on.

Very good thought provoking post Ivy.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

I've seen both The Exorcist and Emily Rose. That was years ago. I used to love movies like that. Now.....I'm terrified, because I'm old enough to undersand the probablity of the reality of movies like that.

I'm really into real life experiences UFO stories, however, there is a movie coming out soon and it's so frightening that I can't even watch the commercials. Yes, I am a believer.

I happened to come across Stephen King being interviewed on "The View" yesterday. He was talking about Jack Nicholson's first scene on "The Shining". That is my favourite scariest movie of all time. I Love Stephen and Jack.

Too much of a chicken to E-VER watch "The Exorcist".
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I love Stephen King also. I haven't read too many of his books, but I have enjoyed several. I read the long version of The Stand and saw the movie. One of the best stories I've ever read. Everytime I get a cold, or someone close to me does, I always refer to it as "Captain Trips" lol

His new book sounds good, I saw him on The View too. But did you see the size of that book? It will take a bit of time to get thru that, but if it's as enthralling as his other books, it will capture you and hold you from begining to end.

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    I love Stephen King also. I haven't read too many of his books, but I have enjoyed several. I read the long version of The Stand and saw the movie. One of the best stories I've ever read. Everytime I get a cold, or someone close to me does, I always refer to it as "Captain Trips" lol

His new book sounds good, I saw him on The View too. But did you see the size of that book? It will take a bit of time to get thru that, but if it's as enthralling as his other books, it will capture you and hold you from begining to end.
    A girl after my own heart! I can't believe how much we have in common with the books we read!

I read most of Stephen King's books but just didn't seem to get into the "Dark Tower" series. I read "The Stand" as well; LOVED it! "The Dark Half" was really intriguing to me, stands out in my mind. He's an incredible Writer. I guess I should be going to the Book Club on Lifesupporters to talk about these.

"The Green Mile"; LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the movie! I read all the little novelettes when they first came out and just couldn't wait for the next and the next and the next.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

I loved The Green Mile too. Did you read Geralds Game? Ooooo, good book!

I loved The Green Mile too. Did you read Geralds Game? Ooooo, good book!
    I'm pretty sure I did, there were a lot that I read of his. I should find the list on the Internet and check off the ones I did read.

I remember when I first saw "The Green Mile" with Duke in a movie theater. I cried so hard on his sleeve it was soaked. A Good, good memory for me! Now when I see it at home, I still cry. Hated Percy and was glad for his come-uppance.

I loved this movie. A true story of one mans alien abduction. Facinating!

I just watched the trailer on utube. Wow!

I think one of the scarier Stephen King movies was Pet Sematary personally.

I used to be a big fan of Stephen King in fact he's all I'd read, but I think I read just too many of his mediocre stuff to find interest in his style anymore. I think the funnies and most accurate portrayal of modern day King is a spoof done in the Family Guy where King is at DoubleDay and he's going to write a book about a "Lamp Monster".

The publisher commented on how King isn't even trying anymore as King poked a small desk lamp at him and made nya sounds.

I think King was great at one time but now he just reminds me of Sony, they both peddle mediocre crap based off a good brand name they established years ago and have coasted on ever since.
    My Daughter Rules!

How could I have forgotten to mention "Cujo"? I kept screaming "DON'T get out of the CAR!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    How could I have forgotten to mention "Cujo"? I kept screaming "DON'T get out of the CAR!!!!"
    I didn't like Cujo the movie nearly as much as I enjoyed the book. In the book he told much of the story from the dogs point of view which the movie simply could not do. Also, that little brat actually lived in the end in the movie but died in the book while his mother went somewhat rabid herself.

I spent that entire movie wishing the dog would use that kid as a chew toy.
    My Daughter Rules!

I didn't see the Cujo movie, but I read the book. EXCELLENT!!

I LOVED the dog and just hated what happened to him!

"Thinner" was good, too! "Misery", also!

Even though these weren't frightening, just good movies, "Shawshank Redemption" and I saw "The Running Man" a 'thousand times' with my youngest son.

I didn't see the Cujo movie, but I read the book. EXCELLENT!!
    I urge you to stay away from the movie, it sucked and didn't do any justice to the book whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luba View Post
    "Thinner" was good, too! "Misery", also!

Even though these weren't frightening, just good movies, "Shawshank Redemption" and I saw "The Running Man" a 'thousand times' with my youngest son.
    I don't remember seeing Thinner so I can't comment but Misery was really good. Kathy Bates did a tremendous job in both Misery and Dolores Claiborne. Shawshank was also great as was The Green Mile and The Running Man.
    My Daughter Rules!

I know this post is a year old, but plenty of movies have come out since then so I'll revive it.

I'll agree that The Exorcist is pretty darn scary, not so much the plot but the little things... Like the weird demonic faces that will appear in the shadows.

I personally find it difficult to find movies that frighten me. I try and try, but most movies just don't scare me. I wasn't fond of "Dead Silence" since I have a fear of ventriloquist dolls. The "Child's Play" movies used to scare the bejeezus out of me, and I'm still scared of creepy dolls, but the movies are just eh now. "Paranomal Activity" actually made me giggle during parts.

Anyone?

"Sometimes... dead is better." ~Pet Sematary

I watched a huge Horror Fest during Halloween this year. "Friday the 13th" makes me giggle. I agree, all horrible little doll movies make me cringe! Any movie that mixes religion and scare with it, makes me psychotic. Even if everyone else is laughing about it, I'm secretly terrified.

Stephen King has some great works.

I had to end my Horror Fest early this year. LOL! I was totally freaked before the ending. "The 13th Ghost" pretty much clenched it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Railyn View Post
    I know this post is a year old, but plenty of movies have come out since then so I'll revive it.

I'll agree that The Exorcist is pretty darn scary, not so much the plot but the little things... Like the weird demonic faces that will appear in the shadows.

I personally find it difficult to find movies that frighten me. I try and try, but most movies just don't scare me. I wasn't fond of "Dead Silence" since I have a fear of ventriloquist dolls. The "Child's Play" movies used to scare the bejeezus out of me, and I'm still scared of creepy dolls, but the movies are just eh now. "Paranomal Activity" actually made me giggle during parts.

Anyone?
    You may want to try the Exorcism of Emily Rose because while it wasn't really scary, it was disturbing in some spots. The one thing it shared with the Exorcist is the overall feeling of hopelessness and the inability to understand why the character was ever possessed in the first place.
    My Daughter Rules!

Thread Information