Religion vs Spirituality

Discribe to the best of your ability what you understand both Religion and
    Spirituality to be?

Are they the same thing? Are they joined anywhere, or are they completely different entities?

Re: Religion vs Spirituality

I don't often share my thoughts on Religion unless it's someone who believes in God, and I have quite a few friends with whom we share our prayers or our faith in God. I will only say that I have believed in God since I was a young child in a very unhappy home, and I believe my Faith, my Prayers, my Beliefs have helped me become the caring, loving person I am today.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

I think you are a very loving and caring person Luba. Whatever your faith has been, has evidentally worked for you.

I didn't mean to start this thread so it could be a controversial topic. My intent in starting it was in hopes of respectfully sharing our views about spirituality and religion with eachother in a safe place. I do understand tho if the subject is uncomfortable for some.

I would just like to say that I am of the opinion that religion and spirituality are different, but that I feel they overlap. Whether we choose to refer to God as Higher Power, God, HP, Spirit Guide, Universal Spirit or whatever, I think that we are all refering to the same entity when we use any of those terms or ones that are similar. When we use the terms, Jesus, Muhammhad or Buddah, I think we are refering to the profits of God. They are the teachers of their time. Anyhow, I'm just sharing and if anyone else feels like sharing too, I'd like to stress respect and tolerance for eachothers differences. Thanks.

Thank you for your kind words, LovingSpirit; as I've said before, that name suits you totally!

My Faith is very precious to me, and it's something I build and base my life on. Even during the toughest times, my Faith has never wavered as I found a way through to understand why a situation has happened, and what I needed to learn by being open.

This is a very good thread, LovingSpirit, and I am hoping to learn what is said here. I believe we can all learn something if we are leading with an open and loving mind.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

True love is wanting to give to another person without any thought about
    who’s getting the better of the deal.

Love always creates, it never destroys. In this lie's man's only promise

~All quotes by Leo Buscaglia

Quote Originally Posted by LovingSpirit View Post
    Discribe to the best of your ability what you understand both Religion and Spirituality to be?

Are they the same thing? Are they joined anywhere, or are they completely different entities?
    Without looking up the terms for specifics, this is how I view both Religion and Spirituality.

Religion: an organized and focused faith in a common power, God, belief, etc. I tend to view Religion as a belief system that accrues followers or believers who attempt to combine their individual beliefs into one common prayer structure.

Spirituality: I believe anyone can be spiritual simply by having faith in more. I don't think that focusing faith in any one direction, a God or higher power is necessary, just faith in something that may be beyond you.

Of course I do believe however that spirituality is a sense that is beyond the average person because it is one thing to have a belief of something but another entirely to have faith in it.

If I were to look inward on myself I'd say I'm neither Religious or Spiritual because I believe in something but don't know what it is and don't believe enough to actually pray to it.
    My Daughter Rules!

Band of Others: Are you a Gamer looking for a home, look no more bro!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Movie Talk: Like discussing movies, tv and streaming media, well so do we.

I love to engage in topics that interest our members, but I do not have a belief in either (religion or spirituality). The only reason I bring this up is because I want everyone to know that I will probably never comment on these types of discussions. I cannot help myself sometimes though, especially if some one is trying to push me.

In which case, if anyone feels the need to try and convince me of a belief system, please send me a message. This is not the type of debate that I will join in publicly, here at LifeSupporters.

I really don't get the sense that LS created this topic with debate in mind, more opinion. Adding to what you said above, I don't know how insightful my input on these topics is either but I think maybe I'm reaching the age where even if I don't believe, I still want to know.

Either way, Religion is not a topic for everyone; the same can be said for Politics. If it's a topic that heats you up (it heats up many) then steering clear is certainly the wisest choice.
    My Daughter Rules!

Ofear.com: Confronting fears, phobias, and panic attacks, in a friendly online community.

Discribe to the best of your ability what you understand both Religion and
    Spirituality to be?
    Duke is correct, this is not meant to be a debate or an attempt to try to convince anyone of anything. As quoted above, I want to hear your own personal opinions.

Just wanted you fine folks to know that I had not intended to stir any type of debate. If I commented to much on my views, it would cause debate. Hence the reason for my above post. I just wanted you all to know that I will likely bow out of most all religious conversations and why...

As i don't believe in god entirely... they just exist thats it for me...
    so no comments... and spirituality...??? aaa...???
    and great discussions guyz... loved to read all stuff... all of u are great...

While I can't speak for Religion, I would like to one day become more Spiritual but I think it's a long haul from where I currently find myself. For whatever reason, I'm still very much at odds with my world and as such have a hard time experiencing faith on any level.

I know that sounds worse than intended because I do have plenty to be thankful for. My issue is that I don't see any connection between being thankful and being Spiritual.
    My Daughter Rules!

My issue is that I don't see any connection between being thankful and being Spiritual.
    Well maybe that's because of your confusion regarding religion. What does being Spiritual mean to you? I think that on some level, most of us are spiritual in many ways and don't even realize it. One might say, "Oh what a beautiful experience" when walking out into the softly falling snow........this can also be considered as having a spiritual experience. I think we are thankful for this and for many other things, but I think that we confuse thanfulness with religion and even God.

Just as God is an energy and not a being, so are our feelings. If you took the word "God" away completely, it kind of uncomplicates things. We are thankful, but we don't have to be thankful to any specific entity or energy for the feeling of thankfulness or for the wonderful things in our life. Do you see what I mean? God didn't put these things here for us, we chose them prior to this incarnation. Our experiences, good or bad, have nothing to do with God or Satan or any such religious deity. It is all that we have chosen to experience prior to conception so that our experiences on this earthly plain this time around will be learning tools for our next voyage. Do you see?

I have my own views based on my own experiences and things I've learned in the course of my life. The things I say to you need not be your truth and that's ok. We are all on this earthly journey at different levels of spiritual development. But seeds get planted in all of our lifetimes so that they may flourish in the next.

I actually posted my ideas on both Religion and Spirituality here but I think it got missed when the topic skewed a bit sideways:

http://www.lifesupporters.com/forums...tml#post118532

I don't think a person needs to be Religious in any form whatsoever to be spiritual nor do I feel that being thankful is a spiritual experience unless your so thankful you somehow feel as if other forces are at work in your happiness.
    My Daughter Rules!

If I were to look inward on myself I'd say I'm neither Religious or Spiritual because I believe in something but don't know what it is and don't believe enough to actually pray to it.
    Ah yes, I remember that conversation.

I have trouble with prayer myself. I believe in putting the energy of prayer out into the universe, because prayer is energy and it has power, just as non-prayer energy has power. But when it comes to praying to someone or something in particular, this is where I have had difficulties in the past. Having been brought up Catholic myself, I was taught to pray to God. As an adult with more knowledge than I had as a child, I simply cannot bring myself to pray to God. Oh this didn't come easy, as lifetime habits are hard to break, but I had to ask myself some serious questions about this "praying to God thing" and when I did, I reazlized how unimportant it was to pray to anyone specifically, but more important to just get the energy of the thought out there in the universe. It works along the same lines as law of attraction. Energy out, energy in.

Hmmm, similar to meditation, LovingSpirit?

I am an ardent atheist - but by no means hell bent on convincing people of my beliefs.
    The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough. - Rabindranath Tagore

Keep true to the dreams of your youth. - Friedrich Schiller

The only philosophy which can be responsibly practised in face of despair is the attempt to contemplate all things as they would present themselves from the standpoint of redemption. - Theodor Adorno

Quote Originally Posted by Vautrin View Post
    Hmmm, similar to meditation, LovingSpirit?
    Myself, I wouldn't liken prayer to meditation. Meditation is used to center oneself. IMO. Prayer, in whatever form one uses, is usually meant to transfer thought and energy to achieve something in return. And yet, on the other hand, we also send prayers of gratefulness and thanksgiving.....again, not in line with meditation as I see it, but more a transferance of energy.

Prayer has quite a bit in common with meditation, in my view. There was a study done once which found the same pattern of brain wave activity. I see it as a conversation with a detached yet accepting, loving, reflective self which contains some of the same processes inherent in good counselling.

I don't believe in a God. Although religion (when used as part of a political agenda) can dehumanise, I believe that there are enormous benefits to religious practise. I have a great admiration for people who are religious, as long as they are open enough to be respectful of the belief systems of others.

The more I learn about people, the more I believe that there are fundamental qualities which we all possess which can be developed to enhance health, happiness and humanity. A life without a spiritual dimension can drift into a life without meaning, especially when we live in a world which can be alienating to many (materialistic, competitive, little social support). I see religion (when practiced in a beneficial way) as providing a short cut to tuning into these basic human values. There are other routes, however, many paths to the same place.

Thread Information